Pages

25 July 2013

Cold War Jets Open Day - RAF Bruntingthorpe (25th August 2013)

Here are few pictures I took at last year's Cold War Jets open day at the RAF Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire. It was this event that renewed my interest in Cold War era jets and I can highly recommend that you take a visit to this year's event.


The event involves various jets, trainers, fighters, bombers, making full power taxi runs along the runways, but no take-offs. This means spectators are allowed closer to the aircraft as they are moving.


RAF Bruntingthorpe is also home to the Lightning Preservation group who have restored two of last English Electric lightning to fly, at least one of these should be taxiing on the day.

In this case I was allowed on the taxiway as this Canberra approached!

So if you get the chance check it out, just don't forget your ear plugs! For more information about the open day click here and for the Lightning Preservation Group click here.

So why am I writing about this event? Well this was moment that I first thought about trying to build model aircraft again, and yes, I do have a Lightning kit in my stash waiting to be built (2 actually...)!


No comments:

Post a Comment