Pages

18 April 2014

Two Times One O Nine - In Box Review (Airfix & Zvezda)

Time for another dual-in-box review, this time I'm going to look at two variants of the ever popular Messerschmitt Bf-109 in 1:72 scale.

In my last comparison in box review I chose two models at different ends of the price scale. This time we're to look at two similar priced products (even though I do have a more expensive Tamiya kit in the stash). The kits are both newer releases, an Airfix Emil and a Friedrich from Zvezda.


Modellers really are spoilt for choice, all of the mainstream companies have released many 109s, and so I had to decide which to look at. I eliminated the Academy and Hasegawa kits early on because they have some serious shape issues, especially the Academy ones. The Tamiya kit is meant to have a better shape but a slightly short fuselage. I actually compared a Tamiya Bf-109E with the Airfix one and couldn't really see any issues myself. So in the end it came down to price, and as I mentioned earlier in this post, I thought I'd compare two similar priced models this time, both retailing at around the £7 mark.

The Airfix kit is once again one of their newer releases and so I now have high expectations whenever I get hold of one of these. The Zvezda kit is also a fairly recent kit, it is however a snap fit kit aimed at beginners.

Airfix Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 (A01008)

Airfix's 109 soon followed on from their impressive A6M2b Zero which I reviewed previously. And as is the case with their new toolings there's a huge improvement on the older Airfix kits. This particular release follows the same format and like the Zero, looking at the parts makes you want to get on and build it.

Again Airfix decided to go with the single colour scheme option, which is OK I guess if you want to build that scheme. The scheme in question is that of an aircraft flown by Franz von Werra who was famous for becoming the first (and only) Axis prisoner of war to escape from a POW camp in Canada and return to Germany. Back to the decals and being ever so popular the 109 isn't short of 3rd party decal options if you feel like doing something different. If not then the ones with the kit look to be perfectly good quality Cartograf decals.

The actual aircraft in its "retirement"

Looking at the parts, they're full of nice details for a budget kit. There's an engine for a start, but don't get too excited as unfortunately it's slightly flawed. The machine guns have been cast into the cowling rather than above the engine, so you'll have to scratch build them if you want to display the engine (and remove them from the cowl). A plus point though is the flaps. Yes at 1:72 scale you have separate flaps, which means you can show them in the down position if you want, a very welcome addition I think.


So all in all, it's business as usual for the new invigorated Airfix, which is no bad thing. And again I'm impressed with what I see. I actually think in terms of quality it's comparable with the more expensive Tamiya kit at half the price.


Zvezda Messerchmitt Bf-109F-2 (7302)

"My first model kit" the box proclaims (in Russian). This is a snap fit kit which seems to turn more experienced modellers away, and you know what, I think they might be missing out.

I opened this box and was actually surprised by what I saw, this is beginners kit with plenty of detail. Realistically it's competing with the likes of Hobby Boss's easy kit range which retail at about £1 less. But rather than going for the low parts and less detail approach Zvezda have gone for more parts, more detail but no glue approach.



And you know what? I'm really intrigued by this approach. I guess the only real question if will it actually "snap fit" and we'll have to wait until I build it before we know the answer!

There's side wall detail, cockpit floor details, an option of using a flat instrument panel with a decal or a painting a raised detail one. In the Hobby Boss easy kits you get none of this. You also get a nicely detailed pilot option (moulded into a seat) which is good to see, or good to add to the spares box as decent 1:72 pilots seem hard to come by!

Looking at the decals, you get two options. One is a standard Luftwaffe camouflage scheme, the other an all white Eastern front scheme which is a refreshing change (and obviously influenced by Zvezda being a Russian company). As for the quality, in my particular box, (and it may just be a case of this one, rather than all) they don't look too good I'm afraid. So much so that before committing to a colour scheme I have sought out a "Plan B" just in case they don't work out.

One final note is oddly enough the packaging. The bigger Zvezda kits come in rough card boxes with no plastic bags and on several occasions I've found the contents to be broken as a result of this final lack of quality control. These easy kits appear to be more tightly packed and I'm pleased to say damage free.


So which to buy?

Tough choice, really there's nothing between them and of course I've already bought them both! So I guess the real question is which to build first? In this case Airfix fully met my (now high) expectations which means my curiosity may well lead me to build the Zvezda kit first, just so see how it performs.

Airfix Messerschmitt Bf-109E-4 - Overall In Box Score: Promising. Excellent value, excellent detail. Looks like you can't go wrong with this one.

Zvezda Messerschmitt Bf-109F-2 - Overall In Box Score: Promising. Such detail! Outperforms its easy-kit competitors and holds it's own with regular kits.

So if you have a preference as to wanting to build an Emil or a Friedrich then I say choose the one you want as these both look like excellent offerings. Otherwise the Airfix kit slightly edges out the Zvezda kit at this stage. But don't discount Zvezda's offering, it's a really good looking kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment