Pages

04 May 2014

Kits You Have to Build - FineMolds Star Wars Range

As today is of course Star Wars day and what could be more appropriate than a look at the world of Star Wars scale models.

When it comes to Star Wars then we're not exactly spoilt for choice. The Star Wars copyright is well protected and so licensed releases are few and far between. Here in Europe the main option is the Revell range which is predominately easy kits and pre-painted snap fit kits aimed at children rather than scale modellers. That leaves the Japanese company FineMolds. Here in Europe they're much harder to get hold of, but believe me they're worth the effort!

For me the original Star Wars was a key part of my childhood. I was fortunate enough that my parents bought me the Kenner toys that were released at that time, my favourites being the X-Wing and the TIE fighter which fought numerous duels around the house. Of course Star Wars back then was largely pre-CGI and so the the toys felt like models from the film, which brings me back nicely to FineMolds.


1:72 X-Wing box

I've seen these kits in the flesh and I have to say detail wise I felt like I had one the models from the films in kit form. The main reason for this is that FineMolds were given access, by Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic, to the original production models. I believe in some cases you can recognize parts from Hasegawa kits etc, that were used to create the original models as FineMolds have replicated them so closely. They've also taken the sensible step of releasing fictional models in two scales that we're all familiar with, 1:48 scale and 1:72 scale unlike Revell who seem to have used a mixed bunch of weird and wonderful scales.

For me though the one I'd eventually want to build is the 1:72 Y Wing fighter. As a child this was my favourite of the fighters and it was one that I was never able to get (in the Kenner form) and so I'd love the chance now as an adult who's not quite forget the effect Star Wars had on him.

Manufacturer's complete model photo

No comments:

Post a Comment